Green Card

What is a Green Card?

The Green Card is a certificate issued by your insurance company as proof that your car or other vehicle has a valid motor liability insurance. When driving outside Finland, you must present the Green Card in the event of a road accident and to border authorities when entering the country, if necessary. 

You can print a Green Card yourself easily at Printing the Green Card is free of charge.

When do you need a Green Card?

Vehicles registered in Finland can be driven freely in the Nordic countries without a Green Card. A Green Card is also not mandatory within the EU or EEA. However, we recommend that you print out a Green Card to take with you whenever you are planning on travelling outside the Nordic countries.

A Green Card is mandatory in the following countries: Russia, Albania, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Israel, Iran, North Macedonia, Morocco, Moldova, Montenegro, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, and Belarus. The Finnish Motor Insurers' Centre recommends bringing along a Green Card also when travelling to the United Kingdom.

If you are visiting any of these countries without a valid Green Card, you must purchase so-called border insurance when entering the country.

When visiting countries other than Green Card partner countries, you must purchase valid motor liability insurance when entering the country. 


Print a Green Card for your vehicle at


  • Go to Insurance section
    The service requires that you log in using your OP user IDs or another bank’s user identifiers or your OP Corporate User ID
  • Select your vehicle’s motor liability insurance
    Select the motor liability insurance of the vehicle for which you want to print a Green Card
  • Print the vehicle’s Green Card on white paper
  • You’re all set!

Legislation and claims practices concerning motor liability insurance abroad may differ considerably from those in Finland. A voluntary international third-party motor liability insurance can cover situations in which a motor vehicle driver is liable for bodily injury or material damage caused to a third party under the country's motor liability insurance act or equivalent.