The change applies to online payments with cards and card payments through mobile apps. You can continue to pay with a PIN or contactless payment at store checkouts.
What is the change based on?
The purpose of strong customer authentication is to increase the security of payments, improve consumer protection and decrease misuse related to payments. When strong customer authentication is required with purchases, it can be ensured that the verified identity definitely belongs to the person making the purchase. So, your money will be safer as each online purchase will require strong customer authentication.
How will the change in online payments show in daily life?
- You have previously been able to pay online by merely giving the payment card number, its validity and security code. Strong customer authentication means that apart from the card details, you must identify yourself strong authentication with the Mobile key or key code list.
- In future, strong customer authentication may be required in many other situations, for example, when you order food with a mobile app or buy a travel ticket online.
- As a rule, strong customer authentication will be required with every online payment, but not always. There are differences between different online merchants in how often strong authentication is required.
- The logic is the same as in contactless payment in which you sometimes have to key in your PIN. In payments with a physical card, strong customer authentication is done with the PIN.
In any case, you should always be prepared for strong customer authentication when you buy something online.
What are the methods of strong customer authentication?
We mainly offer the following authentication methods:
- Mobile key
- Key code list complemented with SMS confirmation .
Both ways are already familiar to customers from daily banking, and their use makes transactions safe. Mobile key is the primary identification method on our services, and we recommend that you start using it. To start using Mobile key, download the OP-mobile or OP Business mobile app to your smartphone or tablet.
We are offering Mobile key as an identification method for those customers who have K-Plussa Maksuaika or OP-Visa Business Card but don’t have OP's user ID.
How will the change affect a minor’s online payments?
- The change applies to everyone who pays online with a card, so strong customer authentication will also be required from minors in the future.
- Minors who wish to make online purchases, should apply for a a user ID for OP's digital services.