Investing monthly in a fund is an excellent way to build up savings
You can get started with just 10 euros a month, but with a larger sum, you can build up your wealth faster. If you have the opportunity of investing and seek returns on your monthly investments, start investing in a fund on a monthly basis.
Why start investing monthly in a fund?
By investing monthly, you can ensure that your investments are diversified across time. When prices are down, you get more mutual fund units with your monthly investment sum and less when prices are up.
By investing in a fund, you ensure that your investments are diversified, as a fund diversifies even small sums across different assets.
By investing monthly, you benefit from the compound interest effect and get a return not only on your initial investment but on the return that has accrued.
You’ll find a fund suitable for your investment target from our extensive range of mutual funds.
Tips for starting monthly investment
The most important thing is starting. The earlier you start, the more returns your investments can yield.
Remember to diversify. We recommend selecting a few mutual funds to invest in on a monthly basis. In some cases, one fund can be enough if it’s diversified geographically or by industry, for instance.
Select a monthly investment amount that suits your pocket. An ideal amount may be 5–10% of your net income. But you can start with just 10 euros a month. You can adjust the monthly amount or put your investment activity on hold at any time.
Let your investments work for you. Withdraw money only when you really need it. In this way, compound interest works effectively for you.
It's also advisable to start investing for a child early on. The longer the investment horizon, the higher the risk you can take and seek better returns.
How can I change my monthly investment?
To make changes, log into the op.fi service (in Finnish). Go to Säästöt ja sijoitukset (Saving and investing) and then Rahastot (Funds). Under Säännöllinen säästäminen (Regular investing), select your fund and click or tap Muokkaa (Edit). You can modify your investment amount, due date, debit account and debit frequency. If you like, you can put your investment activity on hold for a while, end it or switch the fund in which you invest.
How to choose a suitable fund?
When choosing a fund in which to invest, think of what kind of saver or investor you are and what is your investment target. How long a time would you like to invest? What is your return target? What is your risk tolerance? Many people start with easy Saver’s funds where your assets are managed by investment professionals. We also offer a range of other funds, including responsible funds, equity funds and index funds.
You’ll find the best funds considering your situation and targets by using our Savings calculator and comparing investments by investment period and expected return.
- Log into OP-mobile.
- Go to Investments, then select Buy mutual funds.
- Select the fund in which you want to invest and tap Buy.
- Set the investment amount, the account from which the amount will be debited, recurrence and the due date. If you want to invest a lump sum in the fund, select Make one-time subscription.
- Move on and check the summary to ensure that the details you entered are correct. Confirm that you have familiarised yourself with the fund’s documents and tap Confirm.
- Confirm the fund subscription with Mobile key.
- Your fund order has now been confirmed. Your fund holding will be visible online within 1–2 banking days from the subscription. To view your fund holdings’ performance on the op.fi service (in Finnish), go to Säästöt ja sijoitukset (Investments) and then select Rahastot (Funds) or on OP-mobile, go to Investments.
If you’re buying fund units for the first time, you’re requested to first accept the OP Savings and Investments Agreement. You need this agreement to buy savings and investment products. The agreement is free of charge and you can easily and quickly accept it on the op.fi service (in Finnish) using your key code list or Mobile key.
1. See our range of mutual funds and choose the fund that suits you best.
2. Click or tap Buy. Then log into op.fi (in Finnish).
3. Select Säästä myös säännöllisesti (Invest regularly too). Fill in the details:
- Säästösumma (investment amount)
- Säästön toistuvuus (investment interval that suits you). You can invest every month, every other month or every three months.
- Ensimmäinen eräpäivä (first due date) On this date, the investment amount will be debited from your account and invested in the fund you have selected. In regular investing, the due date occurs the same day every month.
- Tililtä (from account). Select the account from which the investment amount will be debited.
4. In the summary under Säännöllinen säästäminen (Regular investing), check that all the details you have entered are correct.
5. Confirm that you have familiarised yourself with the fund’s Key Investor Information Document (KIID) and click or tap Hyväksy (Confirm).
6. Your fund order has now been confirmed. Your fund holding will be visible on the op.fi service within 1–2 banking days from the subscription. To view your fund holdings’ performance on the op.fi service (in Finnish), go to Säästöt ja sijoitukset (Investments) and then select Rahastot (Funds) or on OP-mobile, go to Investments.
Investment always involves a risk. The value of investments can rise and fall, an investor can lose part or all of the money they invest, or may never receive the expected return. OP Fund Management Company Ltd manages OP mutual funds. Investment services are provided by OP cooperative bank.