Do not log into any online bank through a link in search engine results
Criminals have succeeded in getting scam websites mimicking the op.fi service to appear among the top search results for the purpose of phishing online bank user identifiers. User IDs and passwords entered into a scam website end up in the criminals’ possession and are used to attempt fraudulent payments.
When logging into the op.fi service, type the service’s address (www.op.fi) in full into the browser’s address bar by yourself or use a saved bookmark. If possible, use the OP-mobile or OP Business mobile app for your banking.
Never use a link received by email or SMS to log into an online bank
Criminals have been sending phishing emails and SMSes in OP Financial Group’s name. These emails may claim that the use of the customer’s card has been restricted for security reasons and ask to open a link.
The link in the message may direct you to a scam website resembling the op.fi service where you are asked to enter, for example, your online user ID and your password. The scam website may also be used to gain access to payment cards or online user identifiers of other banks. To our knowledge, some customers of banks other than OP have also received these messages.
OP Financial Group will never send you the kind of confidential emails or SMSes that would include a link requiring you to log in using your online user ID. Never use any link received by email or SMS to log into an online bank.
Never give your user identifiers to anyone – not even a bank or the authorities will ever ask you for these by SMS, phone or email in connection with, say, verifying information. Never download any software into your device if you are asked to do so by someone whose message you did not expect. If you are uncertain about anything, always contact our Customer Service first.
If you suspect that your user ID has fallen into the wrong hands, please do as follows:
- Immediately deactivate your user ID by calling OP Customer Service on 0100 0500 (private customers) or 0100 05151 (corporate customers).
- Outside the telephone service hours, deactivate your user ID by calling OP Deactivation Service on +358 100 0555 (24/7).
- Be sure to also call our Customer Service during service hours to report the incident.
How to be certain that you are on the genuine OP website
- The bank will never send you a link to any website that would require you to log in with your online user ID or give your card details. Only criminals do so.
- If you are uncertain about the legitimacy of the message you have received, always contact your own bank first before doing anything else.
- Do not open the link or any attachments before checking with your own bank’s customer service.
- Never confirm such payment transactions or linking to a device that you do not recognise.
- Check the browser’s address bar to make sure that you are at the right address, and that the address is protected.
- Click on the padlock icon in the address bar to view the website’s digital certificate. Check the following:
- The website's certificate has been issued to OP Financial Group (e.g. OP Osuuskunta).
- On the genuine OP website, the certificate states the address www.op.fi and in OP Identity Provider Service the address saml-idp.op.fi.
- The certificate is valid.
- The issuer/publisher of the certificate is Symantec, Entrust or DigiCert.
Example of a phishing email:
Example of a scam website: