Proving identity at the bank

What types of identity documents are accepted for banking transactions? 

In matters related to online service user identifiers, you always need a passport or an identity card accepted as a travel document. The passport or identity card must have been issued in Finland or elsewhere in the European Economic Area, San Marino or Switzerland. You also must have a Finnish personal identity code. This applies to all transactions related to strong identification, such as applying or renewing a user ID.  

In other banking transactions, the following documents issued by a Finnish authority are accepted as an identity document: 

  • Passport, seaman’s passport, diplomatic passport (excluding alien’s passport) 
  • Identity card issued after 1 March 1999 
  • Driving licence (granted to a Finnish citizen on or after 1 October 1990, excluding temporary, fixed-term, exchanged or mobile driving licence) 

Your identity document must not be damaged or have been expired. You must be recognisable from the photo in the document. Even if the bank employee is familiar, they must check your identity document in connection with each visit.  

If you do not have an acceptable or valid identity document, you can ask the police for a single-use identification, for example, for online service user identifiers. For more information, visit the website of the Police of Finland.  

Identity documents issued by a foreign authority for banking transactions 

You can prove your identity at the bank with a passport or diplomatic passport issued by a foreign authority. An identity card issued in the European Economic Area (EEA), San Marino and Switzerland is also accepted as an identity document, with the exception of Irish, Norwegian and Danish citizens who always need a passport for banking.