Patient insuranceStatutory patient insurance covers personal injuries incurred by patients in the course of providing care or treatment.
Patient insurance is a statutory insurance
Patient insurance is mandatory to all companies and other operators in the sector that provide healthcare or medical care.
Cover against personal injury claims
Patient insurance covers personal injuries incurred by patients in the course of providing healthcare and medical care, such as malpractice or accident injuries.
Patient insurance is valid only in Finland
As healthcare or medical care provided abroad by a healthcare professional is excluded from the scope of cover, patient insurance is not valid outside Finland.
Patient insurance against patient injuries
Patient insurance offers protection to patients, medical staff and healthcare service providers.
Under the Patient Injury Act, patient insurance is mandatory for medical professionals or companies, institutions or entities practising healthcare and medical care in Finland.
Patient insurance covers personal injuries caused to patients in connection with healthcare or medical care. Such personal injuries include illnesses and injuries that occur in connection with treatment or examination.
For whom is patient insurance intended?
All companies, institutions and healthcare professionals that practice healthcare and medical care in Finland must have valid patient insurance against liability under the Patient Injury Act. Healthcare professionals who are registered with the National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health Valvira are always included in the scope of patient insurance.
These entities may be companies such as clinics, hospitals and pharmacies, or professionals practicing as private entrepreneurs, such as nurses, registered massage therapists and physiotherapists.
Healthcare and medical care activities subject to the Patient Injury Act
include, for example:
- healthcare or medical care provided by a physician, dentist or nurse
- occupational, school or student healthcare
- optician’s services
- ambulance transport
- sampling, blood donation and vaccination
- rehabilitation, physical therapy and physiotherapy
- sale of prescription drugs by pharmacies
- clinical medical research.
What is compensated under patient insurance?
Patient insurance compensates personal injuries incurred by patients in the course of providing healthcare or medical care, such as those in the examples below:
- malpractice resulting from medical examination or treatment of a patient or negligence thereof
- accident injury incurred suddenly, unexpectedly and due to an external event during medical examination or treatment
- equipment breakage, in other words the breakage of medical equipment during treatment or examination, resulting in personal injury to the patient
- infection injury due to an unexpected infection during medical examination or treatment
- sudden and accidental injury during medical examination or treatment, such as the patient falling from a treatment table
- injury caused by circumstances in the treatment facilities or equipment, such as fire in the treatment facilities
- injury caused by the incorrect administration of medication.
However, patient injury insurance does not compensate injuries incurred by the patient due to medication that has been appropriately administered or prescribed.
What factors affect the price of patient insurance?
The price of patient insurance for a company is calculated on the basis of the profession’s risk category, which means that the price is determined, among other factors, by the patient injury risk classified for the practiced activity. This means that the price of patient insurance depends on your company’s line of business. In addition, your payroll bill affects the price of patient insurance.
Ask for a quote to receive more information as well as our offer for patient insurance to your company!
How do I take out patient insurance for my company?
Pohjola Insurance issues patient insurance to companies and medical professionals practising healthcare and medical care and registered with the National Supervisory Authority for Health and Welfare (Valvira).
Leave us your contact details from the button below to receive a quote on patient injury insurance. Our experts at Pohjola Insurance have extensive understanding of the sector and can provide more information on the content and price of patient insurance for your company. After receiving your request for quote, we will contact you to determine the best patient insurance and other insurance solutions for your company!
Compensation for a patient injury must be applied from the Patient Insurance Centre. Compensation must be applied within three years of the party entitled to compensation learning of the injury.
For more details and the forms for claims, visit the Finnish Patient Insurance Centre website.
Do you have cause to suspect a patient injury?
First, complete a quick test to see whether you should consider filing a notice of patient injury.