Auton tuulilasista näkyy jalkapohjat - lepohetki.

Green Card

What is a Green Card?

The Green Card is ordered from your insurance company and certifies that your car or other vehicle has a valid motor liability insurance. When driving outside Finland, you must present the Green Card in the event of a road accident and to border authorities when entering the country, if necessary. 

As a Pohjola Insurance customer, you can order a Green Card electronically free of charge at Your Green Card will be delivered to you by mail around one week after ordering it. 

When do I need a Green Card?

Vehicles registered in Finland can be driven freely in the Nordic countries without a Green Card. A Green Card is also not mandatory within the EU or EEA. However, we recommend that you order a Green Card to take with you whenever you are planning on travelling outside the Nordic countries.

The Green Card is mandatory in the following countries: Russia, Albania, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Israel, Iran, North Macedonia (FYROM), Morocco, Moldova, Montenegro, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, and Belarus. 

If you are visiting any of these countries without a valid Green Card, you must purchase so-called border insurance when entering the country.

When visiting countries other than Green Card partner countries, you must purchase valid motor liability insurance when entering the country.


Ordering a Green Card at


  • Go to My insurances
    You are required to log in, after which the web service will be in Finnish
  • Select your vehicle’s motor liability insurance policy
    Select the motor liability insurance policy for the vehicle you want to order a Green Card for.
  • Order a Green Card for your vehicle
    Fill in your journey information in the required form.
  • Ready!
    You will receive your Green Card by mail within around one week.