Debit card for a child or young person

A personal debit card is useful for kids who have their own hobbies and comings and goings.

Personal card for spending

Taking out a personal debit card for your child makes the whole family’s day-to-day life simpler. Earnings from summer jobs and weekly allowances can be deposited in the child’s personal account, and the card can be used to pay for snacks and hobbies.

The card’s account can be linked to the guardians’ OP-mobile or online bank, making it easy to transfer money to the child’s account, for example. Parents can also monitor and guide their child’s spending.

One card and daily banking services are free of charge for customers aged under 26.

OP-Visa Basic – The first card for a child or young person

OP-Visa Basic can be used to pay for purchases in Finland, abroad and online. It is perfect as a first card for a child. Payments are debited immediately from the account, and the card has no credit option.

OP-Visa Basic is available for ages 7 and up. 

Learn more about OP-Visa Basic

OP-Visa Debit – for young persons nearing adulthood

Young persons over the age of 15 can also apply for an OP-Visa Debit card. When paying by Visa Debit, payments are also debited immediately from the account, and the card has no credit option. Visa Debit can also be used to pay in locations without Internet access, such as on airplanes.

Learn more about OP-Visa Debit

Apply for a debit card for a child

To apply for a debit card for an underage child, book an appointment at an OP bank branch. Both guardians must give their consent for the card application. If necessary, one of the guardians can sign a power of attorney in advance online. At the appointment, we will go over matters related to the use of the card together with the guardians and the child. The child must also bring a personal ID document, such as a passport or a moped driving licence, for verification of identity.

Book an appointment at a bank branch

Sign a power of attorney on the banking affairs of an underage child

Read more about accepted personal ID documents