OP BasicOP Basic is a well-suited debit card for children over 7 years old.
Account always up to date
The account’s balance is checked during each card payment. All payments are debited directly from the account. This card has no credit feature.
Secure debit card for children and young persons
With OP Basic, children can securely start practising spending and card use. It's advisable to set spending and withdrawal limits for the card.
Paying with OP Debit
- This card uses only the debit payment feature. Purchases are always debited immediately from the account.
- When a purchase or withdrawal is made with this card, the account balance is always verified. To check the card’s balance, the payment reader needs a connection to the bank. However, a connection is not always available, which is why paying with this card is not always possible on trains, ships or aeroplanes.
- With contactless payment, purchases below 50 euros can be paid quickly without the card PIN.
- K Group's Plussa feature is available for this card.
- To pay online or in apps, the card user needs to have OP's user ID.
- Spending and withdrawal limits can be set for the card's use: for cash withdrawals, swiped payments, and online and in-app payments.
- When a parent has an access right to the child’s account, the parent can see the account on their OP-mobile and online bank and can conveniently transfer money to the account.
- The best way to manage the account and spending is to keep only a reasonable amount of money on the account. It's advisable to set appropriate security limits for both the account and the card.
Charge for OP Basic
For under 26-year-olds, there is no charge for our daily banking services. This includes one debit card, current account, OP-mobile and the op.fi service (in Finnish and Swedish).
For other customers, the monthly charge for OP Basic is 2.75 euros. For owner-customers, the bank’s service charges are primarily paid from OP bonuses.
Information about the card
You can order a debit card for a child through our Customer Service, but completing the order always requires a visit to the branch.
If both parents can’t visit the branch at the same time, one of them can create a power of attorney in advance to authorise the other parent to apply for the child’s card. An OP customer can create a power of attorney by logging into the op.fi service (in Finnish), under Oma profiili (My profile). We suggest authorising all desired banking arrangements for the child at the same time. If a parent doesn’t have OP’s user ID, please contact OP Customer Service.
When applying for the card, the child must come to branch in person, to learn how to use the card. The child needs to show an identity document, such as a passport, ID card or moped driving licence. The attending parent can identify themself with a driving licence.
For the child to be able to pay with the card online or add it as the preferred payment method in apps or services, they will need a personal OP’s user ID.
Read more about OP’s user ID for young persons
- OP Basic is a secure debit card which has no credit feature. The card will be linked to the cardholder's bank account. Consent from the parents is required for a card granted to a minor.
- When paying with an OP Basic card, the payment reader will always contact the bank to check that there is money in the account. If the payment reader can’t connect to the bank, it won’t be able to check the account and won’t accept the card payment. That’s why this card doesn’t always work on trains, ships or aeroplanes.
- The card has a contactless payment feature for paying purchases of up to 50 euros quickly, without entering the card PIN.
- The K-Plussa feature is available for this card.
- Withdrawing cash is possible at checkouts when making a purchase in certain stores, including K-food stores and Tokmanni.
- With a personal OP user ID, the child or young person can conveniently track their spending on OP-mobile.
- One card is free of charge for those under 26 years.
- For other customers, the monthly charge for OP Basic is 2.75 euros.
- The charge of an individual OP member cooperative bank may differ from this recommended charge.
- For owner-customers, the bank’s service fees are primarily charged from OP bonuses.
It’s advisable to set spending and withdrawal limits for the card as protection against card loss or misuse. You can set daily security limits for the card's use: for cash withdrawals, swiped payments, and online and in-app payments.
A 15-year-old can change their card’s spending and withdrawal limits on OP-mobile or in the op.fi service if they have a personal OP’s user ID. Without a user ID, the spending and withdrawal limits can be changed by calling OP Customer Service at 0100 0500 (Mon–Fri 8–16) or by visiting a bank branch.
Parents can change their child’s spending and withdrawal limits if they each send a similar message to the bank via OP’s digital services. Note! In addition to the card’s spending and withdrawal limits, the account too can have a transaction limit that restricts card payments.
Visa Secure (formerly Verified by Visa) increases security of online payments. To verify the cardholder's identity, the user is asked to confirm card purchases with OP's user ID. This strong identity verification effectively prevents misuse of cards.
You can link your card to Apple Pay or Google Pay. These payment apps let you make online and in-app payments with just your smartphone. You don’t need your card or card details at the time of payment.
With Apple Pay or Google Pay, you can also make contactless payments over 50 euros.
The card holder needs to be over 13, if the card is added to Apple Pay, and over 16, if it is added to Google Pay.
- When paying at a store with this card, the cardholder can withdraw up to 200 euros in cash.
- There is no fee for withdrawals made with OP-Visa Basic.
- A preauthorisation hold is made for the cash withdrawal, to make sure that there is money in the account. Withdrawing cash at a store works like withdrawing cash at an ATM. The bank statement will show the details of all purchases and all cash withdrawals made with the card.
The card is granted by OP Retail Customers Plc.