Card payment brings an extra layer of security
The credit feature of your payment card makes paying online safer. If you have paid for the purchase using the credit feature and do not receive the service or product due to the seller’s bankruptcy, for example, you can claim a refund from the credit card company.
OP Gold and OP Platinum cards also include various forms of insurance, such as travel insurance when you pay for your trip using the credit feature.
As our owner-customer, you also get Product Protection Insurance for purchases paid with OP’s payment card in case your card purchase is damaged, lost or stolen. The insurance helps if you drop and damage your new phone or lose a pair of sunglasses, for example. Depending on your card, Product Protection Insurance is valid for either 6 or 12 months.
How to pay for online purchases by card
When buying online with an OP Visa or Mastercard, select Visa or Mastercard as the payment method and your preferred identification method, either Mobile key or key code list.
To pay, you will need:
- Your credit card number. With cards issued before 2023, the number is found on the front side. With newer cards, see the reverse for the number. The debit card number is found on the reverse of the card.
- Your mobile device on which you either use Mobile key or receive an SMS containing a serial number for the key code list.
- Three-digit security code. With cards issued before 2023, the credit card security code is on the right side of the signature field and the debit card security code after the card number. In newer OP cards, both security codes are clearly listed on the reverse of the card.
- The card’s expiry date that is visible on the front of your card, in the format mm/yy.
After you have entered your card details, you will be automatically transferred to OP’s service if the payment requires strong identification. Identify in the service using the identification method added for your card, which is either Mobile key or OP's credentials, SMS for further confirmation or key code list.
Never approve Mobile key transactions if you are unsure or do not recognise the transaction.
How can I start using Mobile key?
You can start using Mobile key by downloading the OP-mobile app. If you have OP's credentials, you can confirm online card purchases using Mobile key. If you have K-Plussa Maksuaika or OP Business Debit, you can confirm the payment using Mobile key without OP's credentials.
Prefer to pay from your account? What to do
When making purchases online and you want to pay directly from your account, choose OP as the payment method and follow the store’s instructions. You identify yourself either with Mobile key or a key code list.
Always make sure that the online store you are using is trustworthy.
Tips for safer online shopping
- Check the seller company's website: in addition to a contact form and an email address, it should include the company's name, address and phone number.
- Use a search engine to search for information on the company and other's experiences with it. Always be sceptical about the reviews shown on the online store's own pages.
- Keep in mind that you can't tell a company's location on the basis of its web address.
- Don't place an order without reading the delivery terms. Also, ensure whether you're making a one-time order or standing order.
- Always pay your purchases securely with a credit card. In that case, you can seek compensation from the credit card company if problems arise, for example, if you don't receive the paid product or service.