OP-Clean WaterInvest in the sufficiency of clean water
OP-Clean Water invests in companies that secure the sufficiency of clean water in the future
The volume of potable water reduces continuously as a consequence of pollution, groundwater depletion and climate change. At the same time, population growth and rising living standards increase water consumption everywhere. According to the UN and World Bank estimates, 2.5 billion people live in areas suffering from shortage of water, and by 2050 up to half of the world’s population will suffer from water shortage. Clean water is needed, in addition to households, in many industries, such as food production and the pharmaceutical industry. Solutions to water issues lie in innovations related to consumption, distribution, purification and production.
OP-Clean Water invests in water industry companies whose business is significantly related to securing the sufficiency of water also in the future. This especially means companies focused on supplying water management infrastructure or developing water technology, as well as conglomerates that are market leaders in some water industry sub-sector. The companies invested in will be at an advantage when the price of clean water rises and demand for water expertise grows.
Why does it pay to invest in OP-Clean Water?
- You invest in companies that are part of solving the global water crisis.
- By investing in this fund, you direct funding to companies whose products improve access to clean water.
- This fund enables global diversification of your portfolio and taking growth and value companies into consideration. It is suited to investors seeking high returns.
The OP-Clean Water fund is primarily recommended to investors who intend to redeem their units after nine years at the earliest. As our owner-customer, you can buy, sell and switch OP-Clean Water fund units at no charge.
Annual management fee
|0,00 %||1,80 %||0,75 %|
Fund units generate OP bonuses.
We cannot live without water, nor can we substitute it with something. Although water is not an exhaustible natural resource, only less than 1% of the world's water resources can be exploited by humans. In addition, the volume of fresh water reduces continuously as a consequence of pollution, groundwater depletion and climate change. At the same time, population growth and rising living standards increase water consumption everywhere. In the US, for example, the need for clean water has tripled in 30 years although the country's population has only doubled in the same period. In China, shortage of clean water is already a problem in two thirds of the country's cities and their strong growth only aggravates the water stress. Indeed, water has become a challenge everywhere. Advanced economies pour money on modernisation of their deteriorating water infrastructure. In developing economies, investments focus on building functioning water supply and curbing pollution. Enormous investments will be required to ensure water supply already in the coming years.
Solutions to water problems lie in innovations related to consumption, distribution and purification. Companies which succeed in making the availability and distribution of clean water more efficient will be at the cutting edge. For an investor, the equation is simple. The price of clean water will rise. Demand for water expertise will grow. Since water problems are global, clean water investment quite naturally offers geographical diversification for the investment portfolio, while the industry's versatile corporate structure enables investing in both growth and value companies.
OP-Clean Water is suitable for responsible investors seeking return for their money and wishing to contribute to solving problems related to clean water sufficiency. Because the fund invests its assets on the stock market, its value can fluctuate markedly depending on the market situation and, investing in accordance with the water theme, these stocks' value performance may deviate considerably from the general stock market performance. For stock investments outside the euro area, the fund is also exposed to currency risk. This fund is mainly recommended to an investor who intends to redeem his/her units after nine years at the earliest.
OP-Clean Water (Fund) is an equity fund which invests its assets in the global equity market. Investments may be made both in developed and emerging equity markets.
The Fund’s assets are invested in companies operating sustainably in the water resource management sector. This especially means companies involved in supplying water management infrastructure or developing water technology, as well as conglomerates that are market leaders in some the water resource sub-sector. The water resource sector contains a variety of growth and value-stock companies, and the Fund seeks to manage the portfolio’s risk level according to the market
conditions by varying the sector weightings.
The Fund's benchmark is the S&P Gb Water USD NTR. With active investing, the Fund seeks to outperform its benchmark index in the long term. The Fund mainly takes notable active risk and it may differ significantly from the composition, weights and risk level of the benchmark index.
- Fund manager
- Kristiina Vares-Wartiovaara
- Benchmark index
- S&P Gb Water USD NTR
- Start date
- fund serie
- Accumulation unit
- Fund size
- 218 Meur
- Serie value (07.12.)
- 291,14 EUR
- Monthly review
Accumulated profit (03.12)
|1mth||3mth||6mth||1 y||3 y p.a.||5 y p.a.|
|OP-Clean Water A||+1,53 %||+1,24 %||+17,24 %||+36,88 %||+19,86 %||+12,40 %|
|OP-Clean Water A||+12,92 %||+7,89 %||−10,77 %||+32,94 %||+5,16 %||+36,94 %|
|Volatility 12 m||vola 12m||Sharpe 12 m||Duration|
|OP-Clean Water A||14,16 %||2,64||-|
Owner-customer benefits as of 1 January 2021
- Book-entry account and custody €0: Custody of Finnish and foreign shares and ETFs without monthly charges.
- Buy and sell fund units €0: Buy, sell and switch nearly all of our funds without costs and earn OP bonuses by investing in mutual funds.*
- Benefits from equity trading:
- A 1% brokerage fee cap on Finnish and Swedish shares and securities – shares, warrants and ETFs.
- Brokerage fee 0.05–0.17, i.e. the more you trade, the lower your trading costs. The benefits mentioned above are available on OP-mobile, OP Business mobile and at op.fi (in Finnish for personal customers).
- New benefit: Equity analyses €0: Free equity and market analysis.
- Benefits of saving through insurance: Take out an insurance policy, switch between investment instruments and transfer funds free of charge. Earn OP bonuses from unit-linked insurance assets.
*No OP bonuses will accrue from the R2 Crystal Fund nor from institutional series of funds.
In addition to OP bonuses earned through saving and investment, owner-customer earn bonuses from
- funds in accounts
- insurance premiums for home, family and motor vehicle policies.
From 1 November 2020, OP bonuses will accrue from:
- home loans, secured bank loans, student loans
- savings and investment accounts
- mutual fund units and unit-linked insurance
- non-life insurance bills
The change on 1 November 2020 means that no OP bonuses will accrue from:
- deposits in current accounts
- unsecured consumer loans (Flexible Consumer Credit, Special Consumer Credit, One-off Credit and Overdraft Facility)
- OP hire purchase
- Purchases paid using OP Visa as a credit card, the balance of credit with interest of OP-Visa and OP Duo cards
OP bonuses are used for the bank’s service charges and insurance premiums.
OP Fund Management Company Ltd manages OP mutual funds.