Even young people benefit from being OP cooperative bank owner-customers
Moving to your first apartment, starting studies and taking the first steps in your career are an exciting time in all young people’s lives. We are here for you when you want to start living independently or need support for your personal finances.
By becoming owner-customer of an OP cooperative bank, you get access to a wide range of benefits. Owner-customers aged 18–29 get a daily services package from €0 per month, including a current account with online bank statements, one or two cards, and an OP user ID and digital services. As an owner-customer, you can also earn valuable OP bonuses from, say, your student loan, home loan, mutual fund investments and insurance premiums. As an owner-customer, you own part of your bank and get to influence your bank’s sustainability actions, for example.
You can become an OP cooperative bank’s owner-customer by paying a member cooperative contribution which is 100 euros in most banks. There are no other membership fees. If you ever decide to stop being an owner-customer, your member contribution will be refunded to you.
Benefits and discounts for young owner-customers
Owner-customers between 18 and 29 get a daily services package for €0 per month, including:
- Current account with online bank statements
- 1–2 cards
- An OP user ID and digital services
We pay a 0.25% interest on funds in your Current account starting from 1 November 2023. To receive the interest, you must be an OP cooperative bank owner-customer and have a Current account with standard terms and conditions and owner-customer membership in the same OP cooperative bank.
The table below has more information about benefits and discounts for young owner-customers.
Please note that between 1 October 2023 and 31 December 2024, all owner-customers receive daily banking services without monthly charges. The benefit applies to both individual products and daily services packages.
The prices shown in the table are valid before and after the free period.
Did you know that as our owner-customer, you also get benefits on savings, investments and insurance, for example?
As our owner-customer you will earn OP bonuses
- Owner-customers earn OP bonuses through their transactions in OP Financial Group entitling to OP bonuses. Private customers earn OP bonuses through their personal banking, wealth management and insurance transactions for example for your student loan and fund savings. Use our bonus calculator to estimate how much OP bonuses you could earn from the services you use.
- OP bonuses earned on your bonus account are used to pay charges and fees that would otherwise be charged from your account. They are used automatically without any action needed from you. Bonuses are used to pay, for example your insurance premiums or loan servicing costs.
Read more about owner-customer membership
Try out the bonus calculator
As an owner-customer you can also make use of benefits provided by our partners
- You can find and redeem all current benefits conveniently on OP-mobile.
Other benefits and discounts for young people and students
- Opening and pledging a rent deposit account free of charge for customers between ages 18 and 26
- OP Classic credit card for higher education students without course credit requirements
- Pivo digital student card and student benefits for higher education students
Becoming an owner-customer and member contribution
Your current customer relationship and any user ID in your use affects you becoming an owner-customer.
- If you are an OP cooperative bank’s customer and have OP’s user ID, you can become an owner-customer by logging into the op.fi service. Become an owner-customer
- If you are an OP cooperative bank’s customer but you do not have OP’s user ID, start by booking an appointment Book an appointment
- If you are not an OP cooperative bank’s customer but you have another bank’s user identifiers and are interested in becoming an OP cooperative bank’s customer, become our customer online Become our customer easily online
Membership cooperative contribution
When joining us, you will pay an ordinary cooperative contribution as a one-time contribution, no other payments exist. In most banks, the amount of the membership cooperative contribution is 100 euros. You can find the amount of the membership cooperative contribution on the owner-customer application and in your OP cooperative bank.
If ever you decide to stop being an owner-customer, your membership contribution will be refunded to you in full. The cooperative contribution will be refunded after one year has lapsed from the end of the financial year during which the owner-customer membership was terminated.
Who can become an owner-customer?
Any person, entity or foundation using OP Financial Group’s services, irrespective of their nationality, can become an owner-customer.
Child as an owner-customer
A child can become an owner-customer. All guardians of the child sign together their underage child’s application for an owner-customer membership. By doing so, the parents also give their consent that their child will begin to earn OP bonuses.
If the membership contribution is paid using proceeds of the child’s own work, the child can him/herself sign the membership application and pay the membership contribution.
Owner-customer terminates the membership
The owner-customer has, at any time, the right to terminate their owner-customer membership by informing their OP cooperative bank of this in writing. The owner-customer membership termination date is the date on which the OP cooperative bank has received the termination notice.
Death of owner-customer
An owner-customer membership will terminate on the death of the owner-customer. In the distribution or partition of the deceased person’s estate, the death estate can transfer the deceased person’s owner-customer membership, generally either to widow/widower or heir.