Home insurance

Home insurance protects your home and home contents. Home insurance protects your home structures, parts of a flat, and movable property in case of, for example, water damage or fire. OP’s home insurance in suited for all homes, as you can adjust the coverage and deductibles to your needs and type of home. Choose your home type below, read more about home insurance, calculate price and buy easily online. You can also learn more about valuables insurance and home insurance for buy-to-let homes.


Learn more about home insurance and calculate the price



Good to know about home insurance

How much does home insurance cost?

The price of home insurance is determined by your home, your own details, and the coverage and deductibles you choose. Go to our webshop and give the necessary details, and we will recommend a policy to you, and quote a price. After that, you can still tailor the details to meet your exact needs before buying the policy online.

We recommend that you compare home insurance policies at regular intervals

Home insurance is often one of your most important insurances and therefore we recommend that you ensure sufficient coverage from time to time. When comparing home insurance policies and looking for the best option for your needs, however, it is also good to take into account other factors than just the price. These include the coverage included, maximum compensation and deductibles and services that complement coverage of your home. For example, if you compare home insurance policies to your future flat, you should ensure that the maximum compensation is sufficient both in terms of fixtures and movable property.

Once you have all the details of your home you are insuring, you can compare home insurance prices with various covers and maximum amounts of compensation easily in our webshop. You can also change the deductible flexibly depending on the level of risk you are willing to take. Did you know that as our owner-customer you will receive a deductible benefit of up to 200 euros and you may not have to pay any deductible at all. The deductible benefit concerns fire, natural phenomenon and crime losses in which the amount of loss exceeds the deductible you have chosen. When comparing home insurance policies, you should also examine carefully the benefits offered to you – especially if you want to compare prices.

Legal expenses insurance and liability insurance as part of home insurance

We recommend that you include legal expenses insurance and legal liability insurance in your home insurance. Legal expenses insurance enables you to seek compensation for costs of legal assistance related to disputed civil and criminal cases. General liability insurance under your home insurance, on the other hand, provides compensation if you cause loss to others for which you are by law liable. The insurance compensates if, for example, you cause water damage for which you are liable in your block of flats, causing a loss to the housing company and to your downstairs neighbour.

A word about terminology OP’s MyHome Insurance and Extrasure

OP’s home insurance is called MyHome Insurance. The insurance name is the same whether you insure a flat, terraced house, semi-detached house, detached house, summer cottage or a villa. When you insure your home with OP, the contract is an Extrasure contract. Extrasure contains all your policies to do with living, health and property, while Vehicle Cover contains all insurance policies for vehicles.

Extended or limited home insurance?

OP does not have any predetermined extensive or limited home insurance. You can choose the coverage to meet your exact needs as you like. We offer five covers, and if you take them all, your home will have the widest possible coverage. We recommend that you insure your home from floor to ceiling to get the best possible coverage.

OP Nano Home Insurance – for young people and students

OP Nano Home Insurance is an excellent alternative for example for a student’s first home. OP Nano Insurance is a digital insurance service that was built right from the start to be quick and easy to use. You can in fact get OP Nano Home Insurance with your mobile phone. The premiums are charged monthly on your payment card.

Are you moving? Remember to transfer your home insurance

Do you already have OP’s home insurance and you are now moving house? Remember to transfer your home insurance with you. As OP’s insurance customer, you can change your home insurance’s address conveniently online. Please note that the home insurance gives coverage to both your old and new address when you are in the process of moving, and it is valid for up to two months once you start moving.

Fixed household appliances and electronics covered under home insurance

Home insurance covers fixed household appliances, such as dishwashers and refrigerators, as long as you also insure the fixed parts of the home in a block of flats or your detached house or your part of a non-housing company owned semi-detached house. If a household appliance is broken, you can apply for compensation under your home insurance to repair it or to buy a new one. When you insure your home contents, it also covers your mobile phone, tablet or laptop against breakage, getting wet or being stolen. Please note that home insurance coverage depends on what coverage you have chosen for the flat, building and movable property.

Home insurance during construction or renovation

When building or renovating your home for your private use, you can insure the building using the same coverage and deductibles as if the job was already completed. If you are building or renovating using voluntary work, remember also to insure the voluntary workers. The insurance covers voluntary workers both during such work and on journeys directly to and from the place of work.

Home insurance also covering luggage?

Did you know that our home insurance sometimes also covers your luggage?  When you travel in Finland or within the other Nordic countries, MyHome Insurance covers your luggage for up to EUR 5,000 if you choose a deductible of at least EUR 150. But do remember to buy separate luggage insurance if you travel outside the Nordic countries or if you take along anything more valuable. Luggage insurance is good also because you can buy it without a deductible.

OP Claim Help will assist you with home losses

Look in OP Claim Help for instructions for various home losses. OP Claim Help will also list any OP repair shop partners that can assist you, and give instructions for filing a claim. Did you know that as an OP customer, you do not necessarily have a file a claim every time, as many repair and loss matters can be processed directly by our partners?
OP Claim Help serves our customers 24/7 and now you also have our latest recruit, Viljo the loss robot, at your disposal.


Read more about our home and housing-related services